Pages

September 20, 2019

Owning 28

Picture from my birthday dinner :)

I turned twenty-eight this year.

For the past three years, I have felt the fear in my heart related to my age. I had started repelling the thoughts about being 25/26/27 yo and experienced an awkwardness when anybody talked or asked me about it. I guess conditioning is deep-rooted in our systems. We're all expected to marry at a certain age/settle in our careers/think about managing a household/know how to cook meals/earn good/think in a certain way, in a certain direction/worry about growing older/changing skin, hair, body, hormones/worry about not finding a partner/worry about not being able to find one/be a part of everything/do all the conventional things, etc. etc. Basically, being fine AF to put up a show anywhere we go. Ugh. Age is not just a number, apparently. A lot of things are involved here.

But, over the same three years, I started focusing more on my own self. One thing at a time. I slowly started discovering the dainty details about my personality and my thought process. Some observations happened accidentally, some were too striking. I observed how I respond to hatred, to mean comments, to love and how I actually feel when I am approached by someone randomly at a cafe. Ah. Do I really want to give them my number? No.

I now know I do not procrastinate everything - only workouts. I know how exactly I crumble inside while listening to/reading humans behaving insensitively with nature and with animals. I grew up a vegetarian because of the home environment, but I questioned, researched, talked to a lot of people only to figure I am a vegetarian by choice because I really feel close to the animals, and eating them is not something I'd ever prefer.

I learned that I am paranoid about locking the car as soon as I get in, but not paranoid about anybody driving rash around me, or even trucks and buses sharing the same road/lane. I was, at one point, but not anymore. I am a confident and skilled driver, but I am scared about somebody randomly opening my car door.

I figured some food allergies and also the fact that panic is not my first reaction in a stressful situation, I am really graceful under pressure. But a closed one saying one negative word would put my heart on a race.

I basically am discovering how I function in life and even how exactly I like my silly lemon soda. 


It's an amusing process. And it's ever so ongoing. I'm seeing it, observing it and acknowledging things as a third person even, at times. It needs watering with good feelingsregularly, it needs building a strong support systempeople to fall back on, it needs forgiveness and a heart as light as a box of tissues, and as warm as gooey brownies. It requires you to be gentle with yourself.

I am kinda on the other side of the grass
rather of this garden I've planted, you know. I feel relaxed. I am in sync with myself and I am moving at my own pace. I am not bothered about turning twenty-eight and I won't shy away from talking about it now. I, in fact, feel good to be twenty-eight. Investing in myself has made me confident and crazy. And this awareness of self has brought me more life and less rush. 

In retrospect, I see how well I've evolved. It makes me feel good, and proud, and happy. It makes me feel close to myself. I trust myself with my life more now, I don't freak out mucheven if I do, I can calm myself down easily. I deal with people better because I'm at peace with myself.

I never thought I'd think all this or like this in my early twenties. At that time, a single thought of late-twenties used to freak me out. Haha. But here I am and trust me, it's all chill.

It may sound alien or fancy or aspirational or the feelings might just sound basic. But these just sound mine to me. I have me. And I think that is the most beautiful thing ever.

4 comments:

  1. This is refreshing, Priyanka.
    Witnessing all the changes and discovering yourself is a journey and you never know where you will be until you are already there 😊.
    Keep breaking stereotypes and keep loving nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abhishek! Thank you for reading and commenting. <3
      You said it beautifully!

      Yasss, on it! :)

      Delete
  2. I can relate myself to this blog. Actually I am very bad narrator, I felt like you gave words to my feelings.
    Very Ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there unknown reader!
    Thank you for reading and commenting. So happy to hear that you could connect with my words and could find this relatable. Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete